1. Increase the number of students who are engaged, proficient readers.
2. Establish a district-wide understanding of the core components of effective literacy instruction, including: self-regulated learning, oral language, phonological awareness, phonics instruction, vocabulary development, reading fluency and comprehension, and Aboriginal world views.
3. Build a professional community of practice, through self-reflection and teacher inquiry, focused on improving reading results for primary students.
4. Enhance primary teachers’ understanding and classroom practices regarding literacy instruction at the universal, targeted and intensive levels and improve their ability to effectively plan and implement instruction for the full continuum of learners.
Target Audience for CR4YR Primary
• All Primary Teachers (K-3)
• Learning Assistance Teachers
• One Administrator from each school